A Historical Perspective of the IDPB
The IDPB originated in 1957, simultaneously in the North region in Borba / AM and Southeast in Bragança Paulista / SP, with the arrival of American missionaries of the Pentecostal Church of God, denomination that is the result of the Pentecostal movement of Rua Azuza and which had its foundation in 1919. The missionaries who came to Brazil initially were Pr. John Willian King and Robert Fundenburg together with their families. Later, other missionaries came to cooperate with the expansion of IDPB. The first Brazilian pastor of IDPB is Pr. Raimundo Carneiro Pessoa, who started work in Borba and the Madeira River.
To continue its expansion process, IDPB needs to train its workers who were mostly simple, low-letter men. Thus came the Central Biblical School of Brazil with the first class in 1964-1965. The EBCB played a leading role in the IDPB until the 1980s, when the process of regionalization of IDPB's theological teaching began, mainly in Amazonas, with SEBAETE and IBIPAM, both of which were initiated by Pr. Neri Campos. The EBCB was also essential in the expansion of IDPB in Minas Gerais, even though the first Minas Gerais churches appeared before the first group of EBCB, it was from the presence of the students who supported the new works that the growth of these churches had momentum. We can affirm that the Theological Education was and continues being fundamental for the expansion of the IDPB.
Confira o Informativo:
Visite o site oficial da PCG:
The birth of the Pentecostal Church of God (PCG) occurred as a result of a move from God that began many years before the PCG was formed. At the end of the 19th century in the midst of a holiness movement, a new emphasis was placed on the book of Acts and the restoration of Baptism in the Holy Spirit. A man named Asa Mahan published his book, Baptism of the Holy Spirit in 1870. This book impacted great evangelical leaders like A.J. Gordon and Dwight L. Moody. Because of this, the name Pentecostal began to be used for various organizations and publications. In the year 1898 a man named Charles F. Parham and his wife started the Bethel Healing Home in Topeka, Kansas, USA. During Parham's childhood, he suffered various illnesses and continued to suffer until the day that God healed all his infirmities and called him to the ministry. Then the doctrine of divine healing entered into his theology. He started the healing house and then in 1900 he opened the Bethel Bible School. At the beginning of the School, Parham taught about repentance, conversion, consecration, sanctification, and divine healing. When Parham left school for three days to preach in Kansas City, he had students study what the Bible shows us as evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. He returned on December 31 and led a service in the morning. When the students revealed the results of their research, Parham was surprised. They all reported the same thing, that the proof of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit was that they spoke in other tongues.
That night, 31 December 1901, they were a vigil where about 115 people were present. On January 3, Parham went to preach another church and changed the place of his own par. A woman reported the fire issues over their heads. That night, Charles F. Parham received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as well. Doctor of the glory of God, many cures happened too. This revival was taken to Joplin, Missouri, USA in 1904, and a Pentecostal message was implanted there.
Details In 1905, Parham pressed to move to Houston, Texas / USA and his ministry at a Bible School in the city. One of his students was a black man, William J. Seymour. Then William J. Seymour was called to preach in Los Angeles, California and on April 9, 1906, with a message of revival and others. Moveres of God was passed through magazines and other publications. In 1915, George Brinkman of Chicago began a newspaper called The Pentecostal Herald. This publication was given in news and testimonies of meetings and services at Pentecost throughout the United States. The most serious themes were prophecy, divine healing, and Baptism in the Holy Spirit. In 1918, George Brinkman was appointed pastor of the Pentecostal Herald Mission Church in Chicago. In April of the same year, he published an annual annual of 550,000 copies.
In October 1919 the president of the Assembly of God Church, J. Welch, was discouraging his churches from receiving Brinkman's newspaper, wanting them to be faithful to the official journal of the Assembly of God. After a meeting with the leadership of the Assembly of God, Brinkman felt that this was unfair in the way it was offered because they wanted to take care of Brinkman's newspaper but let him be the publisher of the newspaper because of its reach and popularity , then the Chicago leadership had a meeting on November 5 to establish an administrative board for the newspaper requesting official recognition from The Pentecostal Herald. George C. Brinkman, formerly, had made all printing and publishing for the Assembly of God, but as the denomination grew and prospered, they no longer needed him or his newspaper. Then through his life, and other men of God, the Pentecostal Assembly of the USA (future PCG) was established in 1919 with John C. Sinclair elected as the first president of the junta, and the newspaper The Pentecostal Herald became a national publication.
At the conclusion of this historic convention, a new movement was born that would build ministries throughout the world, impacting innumerable lives for Christ. In the early years, the leadership of the US Pentecostal Assembly, in addition to pastoring their churches, also had their secular work. In 1920, the second convention was held and John G. Lake was the speaker for the convention. Pastor Lake also served as the District President of the Northwest of the United States, playing an important role in the beginning of this new denomination. At the third convention in 1921, Edward Matthews was elected as the National Chairman of the Board. In 1922, the name of the denomination was changed to be the Pentecostal Church of God (PCG), and the name of the official newspaper was changed to be called The Pentecostal Messenger being its official magazine until today
In 1928 the National Youth Ministry was established, and following this in 1929 the National Ministry of World Missions was also established. Before the Ministry of World Missions was established, the denomination was investing in missions in various parts of the world. The 1919 report shows that $ 1,800 has been given to missions to India, China, Japan, Africa, Egypt, Nicaragua, Argentina, and Liberia. The first missionaries received credentials from the PCG in 1922. In 1949 a full-time director of World Missions was elected. George Doyal, who was a missionary before, was elected to serve in that position. Later in 1951, William I. Nye was elected as a director and he served until 1963, guiding this new ministry during a time of expansion and consolidation. In 1956, missionary Robert Funderburg established the ministry of PCG in Brazil.
In the year 1946, the Pentecostal Bible Institute was established in the United States. The National Ministry of Indigenous Missions began in 1949, and in 1951 the national PCG office moved to Joplin, Missouri, where it still exists today. 1953 brought the formation of the National Department of Christian Education to the PCG, and in 1957 the National Ministry of Women was born. The Men's Ministry, Men of the King, was established in 1975, and the ministry of evangelism and national missions began in 1981. In the year 1982 a new national ministry for the elderly began, and in 1987, Messenger College was established as the School For the PCG.
God has done great things in the history of the Pentecostal Church of God, and He will continue! Through the Holy Spirit of God we have the power and authority to heal the sick, to free the captives, to proclaim and prophesy His word, to speak in other tongues, and to do greater works !! We Are PCG!